Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Stars shinning bright above you


Last night i lay down on my terrace and watched the stars, did that after a very longtime... I think the last time I actually did that was in second year of graduationg college when there was some crazy metereological activity going on and so the sky was going to be full of stars a group of us had gone all the way to ambernath or something catching the last train and had then trekked a bit and on finding a good spot had all just lied down there till it was early morn and time to return for history lecture at 7.20 in the morng (IMAGINE!!!). At that time it was quite crazy coz the sky was full of stars, we were away from the city lights and pollution, so the stars were a lot more visible and it was such a treat!


Before that my memory of starry nights is when as a child we would come from Mumbai to Meerut for Diwali holidays. Our train would always come at around 9pm at the Meerut Cantt station and then it was bumpy cycle rickshaw ride to home, I being the youngest and actually quite chottu then would be sitting at the backside of the cycle rickshaw and would always be looking at the sky completely fascinated by the sheer number and size of the stars, even now when I close my eyes I have that picture very clearly in my eyes... ofcourse I have my own memories of cycle rickshaws, almost always as a child I had either injured myself while getting off the rickshaw or i had lost whatever footwear I had on my feet because my feet would be dangling and I would be completely lost looking around and therefore I would loose my footwear..totally loved that experience looking at the world going in the opposite direction and trying to take in as much detail as possible..!!


Back to last night, the weather was amazing, we have this chottu bench type on our terrace, I was lying on it facing the sky and saw one shooting star and loads of twinkling diamonds and then the clouds came in..very few at first and then slowly the whole sky was full of cluds and the stars were playing hide and seek with me. Love watching clouds, that is the part that amazes me the most when ever I am in an airplane in the day, as we soar above the clouds and then the cluds that were far away above us are now the ground we are trotting on ooohhh totally love it... espcially when I had been to Srinagar, could see the Himalayan peaks from above the clouds too, fascinating!

5 comments:

Muthu said...

Wow....Anubha what a lovely picture you painted with words; totally matched the quality of the painting that you put up to go with it. Took me back in time to when I was a kids visiting Coorg and looking at the stars. And I totally am like you in an airplane. Confess to having tried to trick Aarzoo out of the window seat :(

anugem said...

Hey muthu!! that was starry nights by vangough, found it on google. I know it was so lovely I will be writing more on my memories of Meerut soon...till then take care.

Anonymous said...

hmmm so this is what u were doing while i was away?.....
u know muthu this bench is my place to lie down when i am intoxicated and talk utter rubbish...and of course look at the sky like it would open up and give me asnwers to lots of things....now gem ji has taken over my fav activitiy...:)

anugem said...

Teehee, did it only this one time and ofcourse i didnt get much answers, after a bit i just fell a sleep!!

Muthu said...

Sigh....the joy of doing something like that seems like a dream at the moment. Girls how I envy you.....