Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Rain Food!!!

Last evening it rained in Delhi like it was Mumbai for a bit, infact it has been raining all night and this morning...its quite crazy. One is never prepared for these kind of rains in Delhi. It is not an everyday phenomena so you dont carry an umbrella, wear clothes that will dry fast, not wear light colours and the like and in any case neither is the city prepared for rain lashing like this sort. Anyways, so my bus from office to home was also delayed and by the time I got off at my stop it had started pouring so there I was like a shrievelled up cat waiting under someone's door step for the rain to stop...hmmmmm, i know if this was a hindi movie things would have turned very differently, but this is my life we are talking about so no such chances!!! Anyways since I was standing there I thought I could met up with tinky and husband on their way back home and actually giver her her share of bhakar wadi. So I met them chatted up a bit shared some bhakarwadi and then they dropped me off at a place from where I could get a cycle rickshaw, anyways since it had stopped raining so I thought I will walk down, but right there at that turning there is this pao bhaji wala who claims to dish out pao bhaji just like you get in mumbai (which btw is all bullshit they can try as much as they want, but they can never even get near the original!!) Anyways, since i'm sitting fried street food land sometimes it is nice to have stuff like this. So I asked for 2 pao bhajis to be packed and one masala pao to be heehee consumed by yours truly. The point is masala pao is suppose to be exactly what it is called, i.e. masal pao, but this character seemd to think that I have ordered butter pao with some some red concoction on it!! Oh how I miss masala pao from DPs (which btw is Durga Parmeshwari, bang opposite Ruia in Matunga, Mumbai from where I graduated). Hmph, the amount of butter this man put would have made karela and tinda also taste great, anyways I just gobbled up what was dished out remembering all the old times in DPs and college and went off home.


Ofcourse if you are looking for great pao bhaji in Mumbai, the best place is not the beach, but this lane called 'khao galli' This literally means a lane of food!!! and it actually is a lane full of street foods of mumbai. (PS I have'nt been there in a bit so I dont know about any recent demolitions, new erections etc so pliss to be xcusing!) Now the pao bhaji that you get here is divine!!! specially there is this red garlic chutney that they give with the bhaji on chopped onions which is totally mind blowing. Apart from pb, you get a vcariety of sandwichs, vada pao, south 8indian snacks. usal and misal pao, dabeeli and fruit juices and shakes!! Yum yum total treat. Oh ofcourse most important, this lane is situated in between VT and Churchgate station, right behind fashion street on one end and behind SNDT Univ on the other end. So if you do go there you must!!!

2 comments:

KitchenKarma said...

am pao bhaji hungry....

Tinky Toinkers said...

i hates you.
ok i loves you for the bhakarwadi, which we hid in car and didnt take home so we could eat it by ourselves and not share.
but i also also hates you for reminding me of khao galli.
btw ... if you ever get the chance, you HAVE to have the masala pav @ somaiya college canteen. it is God's gift to mankind.