Friday, February 6, 2009

News Today

I have stopped reading the newspaper in print, mostly because the paper would not reach me every morning and that irritate the hell out of me, so i decided to opt out. I now read the newspaper online. Today the front page consists of the Nanavati commission, the UC Banerjee Commission, the Liberhan Commission, the banglore explosion.... and I havent even finished reading the front page.
Frankly I don't even remember anymore the chronology of blasts and terrorist attacks that have taken place. I don't know whether this is because there are too many of them or because I just wnt to shut my mind out from these happenings... I don't know what we are going to do about this situation and what worries me even more is that we refuse to deal with the root cause of all this terror.. we have judges saying that we should have strict terror laws this that, but really are people born terrorists? or they become terrorists? I mean are we going to deal with what exactly happens that drives a normal human being to be ready to shoot people and get burnt alive absolutely willingly?
I was in a seminar on Human Rights in Nanital once and after most poeple had spoken, the audience was also sharing their thoughts. One of the members came up and advocated for a stronger anti terror law and death penalty and no need for a trial etc for 'terrorists' to which i again spoke up about death penalty and why the concept itself is against human rights. In response to this I had a High Court judge turn around and say that if he ever had the chance he would without doubt sentence a 'terrorist' to death penalty without a second thought. When i replied back about how easily the State was washing its hands off by not dealing with the circumstances which make people so called terrorists, all the high Court judge could say was that all this study for the purposes of criminology can be done at a later stage, but right now stroang action is required....
Don't really know what we are heading for!

No comments: