Thursday, June 19, 2008

Salsa in a feminist world!


I have started learning salsa recently, have been in for 5 classes now. One of my colleague kept saying that this is a very scientific dance but i could'nt really figure out why she said that until the last class. Till now we were mostly learning the basic steps and were practising them on our own in class, but now we have started doing partner work and that's where the whole issue lies. It is the guy who leads in salsa and the woman has to only follow his cues. Now I seem to have a problem with this as I like to think for myself and may not really like to follow my partner all the time in the dance. I mean I may not want to do a right turn when he is leading me to do one, so then what happens? So i realsi in this class there are again a lot of things that I am going to unlearn and relearn....uffff.

The other aspect that I realised was that if the guy can only give cues which the woman has to follow then the tuning between the two partners has to be perfect, thats where the scientific bit comes in. It is about understanding each other really well and it is also about the guy knowing exactly what the girl wants. There are also aspects like you don't give your hand to the guy till he asks for it...so it is about the guy getting what he is asking for, but it is aslo about the girl giving only the things asked for not more not less. Not much of an option here isn't it!

Anywhich ways, its is thoroughly an enjoyable dance and it is also attempting to bring out the feminine, seductive side in me!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well..ur write up on salsa is inspiring..when can I start ? and do u think I can start ?

anugem said...

arrey ofcourse anantji, you can start anytime!!